One of the best authentic Asian dishes you should try is Hong Kong’s beef brisket curry. This beef brisket curry dish is incredibly tender and rich with unique flavours, making it one of Hong Kong’s most memorable dishes.
Hong Kong’s beef brisket curry is tender and delicious because it goes through two rounds of cooking. In the first round, the beef brisket is simmered. Then, in the second round, the curry paste is made and mixed with the beef.
While there are many other curries in the world, this iconic Asian curry is truly one-of-a-kind. The curry itself is stewed with the brisket for hours, forcing their flavours to marry and create the perfect blend of savoury flavours. This whole process is a traditional method that has been going around for years and is best served with a Hong Kong ice tea.
If you want to try cooking this dish at home, this article has an easy version of Hong Kong’s beef brisket curry. So put on your apron, chef’s hat, and let’s start cooking!
What ingredients do I need?
You will need ingredients for two separate items: the beef brisket stew and the curry paste.
Beef brisket stew
- 500 grams of beef brisket cut into large chunks
- 4 slices of ginger
- A stalk of spring onion
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of chu hou sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon of rock sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- An aniseed
- 2 cups of water
- 2 potatoes cut into large cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots or half an onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sambal chili
- 1 cup of coconut milk
How do I cook it?
- Before you cook the meat, make sure you soak the beef brisket chunks in water for 10 minutes. This will help remove blood material and other grime that may be stuck on your meat.
- You’ll need to blanch the brisket. You can do this by filling a pot with cold water and adding the beef, ginger, and spring onion. Leave the ingredients to blanch for 3-4 minutes. After that, remove the water, wash, and drain.
- Place a pot on your stove over low heat and add oil. Once it’s hot enough, add your ginger and spring onion. Fry these ingredients until it’s fragrant and then add chu hou sauce.
- Once the ingredients in the pot are mixed and heated, add the blanched beef brisket and begin to stir fry until it is completely coated.
- Next, you’ll have to add the cooking wine, rock sugar, bay leaves, and aniseed. Mix this with the beef brisket, so the flavours combine.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pot and allow it to simmer for an hour. After this, separate the beef from the liquid and set both of them aside.
- Begin cooking the curry paste in a separate pot by adding the oil, garlic, ginger, and fried onions until it’s fragrant. You can then add turmeric, chili powder, coriander, cumin, and sambal chili. Fry all the ingredients in low heat until the oil separates.
- End the cooking session by adding the beef to the curry paste, stir it well, and serve.
Now that it’s ready, you can serve this with a hot bowl of white rice, Hong Kong ice tea, and enjoy!
Perfecting a great dish like this beef brisket curry takes a lot of time and practice. The best way to learn faster and to master Asian cuisine is by trying different authentic Asian dishes. You can do this at Rice Bowl Deluxe where we offer a wide variety of Asian dishes that will make your palate explode with all the flavours. If you’re ready to immerse yourself in the vibrant flavours of Asia, drop by any of our three locations in Alberta today!
Rice Bowl Deluxe offers a variety of authentic Asian dishes that will satisfy your cravings. We offer high-quality, health-conscious dishes such as Korean rice bowls, Japanese steak bowls, Thai bowls, spring rolls, and noodle bowls in Edmonton. Check out our menu and have some amazing Asian food today!